Having a powerful and versatile power puller on the back of your car can add more benefits as well as convenience than other automobile equipment. An effective come-a-long tool can help your car get out of a “sticky” situation or help other cars get out of theirs, or just basically any situation that requires lifting or pulling.
A power puller is also used in daily home repairing procedures such as fence repairing, tightening a slackline, or removing a tree stump from your backyard. In any case, due to its versatile practicality nature, power pullers are a piece of must-have equipment.
Here are 5 of the best come-a-long winches (power pullers) you should consider if you want to buy one.
Top 5 Reviews
1. TR Industrial Portable 4-Ton Dual Gear Power Puller
The first product is the TR Industrial 4-ton dual gear power puller. The come along packed with some serious power capability. As the name suggests, it can effortlessly deliver an output of up to 4 Tonnes, which is approximately about 8,000 lbs. In addition to that, the dual gear mechanism makes the entire process of operating the puller an effortless job by distributing the entire weight evenly throughout the puller as well.
Specs and Features
- The power puller is extremely lightweight. It weighs only about 10 lbs, making it up to 30% lighter than its competitors in the market
- The come along puller features an all-steel construction design, making it an extremely sturdy and durable unit, and also resistant to tear and wear
- The cables of the TR Industrial power puller is constructed using aircraft-grade braided steel cable
- The high leverage handle (18”) has excellent grip design for promoting optimal handling
The puller may not be your ideal pick when it comes to long pulls, but considering the list of features you are already harnessing out of it, that should not be a significant problem for everyday usage.
2. Maasdam Pow’R Pull 144-S 1 Ton Capacity
The next power puller comes from the Maasdam. It is not the strongest one in the market by any means. However, it does come with a significantly lower price tag to justify its low power capacity. The Maasdam Pow’R puller 144-S is designed strictly for low weight handling applications, supporting only up to 1 Ton lifting output.
Specs and Features
- The Maasdam Pow’R Puller is one of the only Come Along puller to be entirely assembled and manufactured in the USA
- The high strength, cold rolled tempered steel frame promotes optimum strength and durability, making it a highly sturdy unit for any lightweight application
- The Notch-at-a-time feature helps the user to release the puller one at a time to allow optimum ease when lowering or lifting the puller
- The aluminum alloy ratchet wheel design ensures optimal ease of handling and reliability whenever you operate the puller
The Maasdam Pow’R Pull may not exactly be your ideal heavy-duty power puller, but, with the price point that it comes with, it does what it says on the paper. For a fairly low price and light-duty application, this is your ideal product.
3. Maasdam Pow’R Pull A-100 ¾ Ton Capacity
This is yet again another excellent Maasdam Pow’R Pull product. In terms of performance, the Maasdam Pow’R puller A-100 is homogenous to the 144-S mentioned previously. What makes the A-100 a unique puller from its sibling or just any other types of pullers in the market is its implementation of rope puller instead of the conventional steel cables.
Specs and Features
- The A-100 makes use of a sturdy and premium-quality 100 ft. A synthetic rope instead of the traditional cable. This eliminates the problem of binding and (of course) provides more flexibility.
- The power puller is capable is delivering an effective output of 1500-pound/ ¾ Ton, making it an ideal unit for light-medium duty activities.
- The cold-rolled steel frame of the main body provides optimal structural stability, and the non-slip handle also provides ease of handling.
- The safety latches combined with synthetic ropes provide an accurate interlocking mechanism allowing the hooks to stay attached at all times.
While some people may prefer steel cables, the use of synthetic rope makes the puller a much more flexible and practical choice for easy handling and minimal binding requirements.
4. TEKTON 554 2-Ton Power Puller
The Tekton 554 is one of the best power puller units in the market at present. With an excellent output power capacity and a wide array of other positive aspects, it is undoubtedly one of the best value-for-money power pullers. The puller comes in two different power handling options – a 4-Ton and a 2-Ton capacity as well.
Specs and Features
- The ratcheting gear pulley mechanism enhances the entire process of operating the puller for one-handed operation for any purpose.
- The Tekton 554 2-Ton puller offers a maximum rated capacity of about 4,000 pounds. The safe working load capacity is however, only 2,000 pounds, but, still more than capable than most average power pullers.
- The all-steel construction combined with anti-corrosion galvanized finishing provides the puller with the much-needed tensile strength and also prevents any kind of rust formation.
- The automatic safety latch mechanism enables the hook to stay connected with the object with convincing firmness, and safe tension letdown.
The TEKTON 554 is one of the lowest-priced power pulleys that can handle an exceptional amount of power application. It may not be the best product in terms of optimal functionality, but, at its price segment, it is as effective as it gets.
5. Neiko 02256A Power Cable Puller
The last product, but certainly not the least by any means is the high output capacity power puller from the Neiko. Throw in some few extra bucks, and buy this come along pulley if you want a unit that can handle any heavy-duty operation. The Neiko 02256A is capable of handling load capacity of up to 5-Ton, making it an ideal product for any intense operational requirements.
Specs and Features
- For a pulley that can withstand up to 5-Ton load capacity, the Neiko puller is exceptionally lightweight (13 pounds), making it easy to operate under heavy loads as well.
- The double-gearing mechanism allows optimal ease of handling any kind of heavy operation an effortless job by promoting uniform weight distribution.
- Heavy-duty steel construction along with zinc-plated gears provides maximum durability and prevents corrosion formation as well.
- The PVC coated handle grip provides excellent comfort during the entire operation.
Rather than settling for an average product at a low budget pricing, the Neiko 0225A come along puller makes a much more practical purchase sense. It is worth every extra penny you pay for.
Things to Keep in Mind When Buying Come Alongs
What is Come Along?
A come along, or come-a-long is the other name for power pullers. They make use of a hand operated winch and a ratchet for pulling objects. The drum is usually wrapped with a steel cable or in some cases, nylon ropes for extending the range of the puller as per different pulling requirements.
Some of the crucial aspects to consider before buying a come along:
Capacity is the primary functionality aspect of the come along. Before you decide to buy one yourself, determine the type of load you will be dealing with (light, medium, or heavy duty). Usually a 2-Ton capacity come along is more than enough for everyday usage ranging from light to medium duty. However, if you require heavy duty puller for construction works or pulling trucks, look for units with more than 4-Ton capacity.
The cable is often the weakest part of any come alongs. With some heavy loading, they can snap just as easily. Hence, a weak cable wire is both ineffective and poses potential harm to the operator as well. Since the cable is primarily responsible for handling the weight of the entire structure; you need to make sure it is capable of handling high load.
Electric or Ratchet puller
The pulling mechanism of a come along is available in two options: electric and ratchet. Electric pullers are mostly used only for light load applications. Due to their dependency on the motor, they cannot be trusted with heavy-duty loads. However, they are extremely easy and convenient to use, requiring negligible effort.
Ratchet puller, on the other hand, depends on the good old-fashioned mechanical system. You need to operate the puller manually, and that makes it suitable for any type of heavy duty pulling requirement.
Ultimately, the entire structure of the Come Along has to be extremely stable and sturdy in order to provide durability. No amount of fancy features can make up for a cheap build quality of the puller. Hardened steel body material and aircraft-grade steel cable wire are some of the basic build quality you should look out for.
The importance of having a handy and portable come along in your garage is undeniable. Be it any type of backyard repairing process or pulling out your car from a nasty slump. The application of a power pulley is extremely diverse, making it an integral component to add to your tool kit.
In order to save you some research time, some of the best come along products have also been mentioned above.